Sunday 22 August 2010

A Bike Ride To North Rigton!

The road to North Rigton, where some of my ancestors lived. They were farmers...



Rigton railway level crossing.







Nearly there!


Me in North Rigton.

Entering the village.


This was one of the farms my great grandparents lived in.


The school.

I went for a couple of drinks in the village pub, its very nice in there now!


Then i went to the church to visit my great grandads grave...





My great grandad, Joseph Clapham was a North Rigton and Brackenthwaite farmer, and a Wetherby town councillor (North Rigton was part of the West Riding Of Yorkshire back then, and part of the old Wetherby rural district council).
He was also a Methodist lay preacher at Pannal Methodist Church.

BTW. I am not a Methodist myself, and im not religious.

Here is a photo of Joseph Clapham, taken in about 1911...



Back on the bike, and heading towards Burn Bridge...



Here is another farm my great grandparents (and my grandad) lived in until 1940 when Joseph died.
Fairview Farm.


You can have a virtual tour on Google Street View here...
Click Here!


I saw this old building, and decided to have a look around...








Then i set off back to Wetherby (via the Castle pub in Spofforth).......

No comments: